Board of Health

Healthy Lifestyle

Health Commissioner

Health Department

General Information

Temporary Event Information

Temporary food permits are issued for special events that last no longer than five (5) days. Operators should contact the Canton City Health Department at least ten (10 ) days in advance of the event. Some exceptions do apply.

Following are guidelines that will assist your group or organization in the planning of your event.  Please feel free to contact the Health Department should you have any other questions regarding the sale of food for your event.

The Temporary Event Guidelines information sheet will assist you as you plan your event. The guidelines do not represent the entire Ohio Food Safety Code, but will help assist you in serving your customers a safe product and reduce the possibility of a food borne illness. You can access the entire Ohio Food Safety Code by visiting .


Vendors must complete the steps in the following order to obtain a license for temporary FSO or RFE:

1)  Receive permission from the event sponsor/organizer to participate as a food vendor at a public event. The sponsor will provide Canton City Public Health with a list of approved vendors. Canton City Public Health will then contact vendors and provide a Temporary Food Permit Questionnaire.

2)  Complete the Temporary Food Permit Questionnaire within ten calendar days prior to the event. If Questionnaire is received less than 10 days a late fee will be added.

3) The questionnaire will be reviewed and approved by Canton City Public Health. Once approved, Canton City Public Health will contact the vendor. Vendors must call to schedule an appointment to come to the office and pay. Please do not stop in without an appointment. 

4)  Complete an Application for a License to conduct a Temporary FSO or RFE in office.

5)  Pay the applicable license fees. (This must be done in office)

** Questionnaires will not be accepted any later than two calendar days before the event.**


I) License fee must be received by noon on the last business day prior to the event.

II) The Application for a License to Conduct a Temporary must be completed in its entirety, and signed by the license holder, or the authorized representative.

II) Food is NOT permitted to be prepared at home. If food is prepared in a licensed facility, you will need to have the owner of the facility fill out a Permission to Use a Licensed Facility form. This form must be turned in before payment can be made. 

Additional Information:

·  The temporary FSO or RFE license will be given to the applicant by the inspecting sanitarian upon completion of a satisfactory FSO or RFE inspection in the field.

·  Unlicensed temporary FSO or RFE operations that are discovered in the process of event inspections will NOT be given the opportunity to be licensed in the field. They will be asked to dismantle their operation and leave the event site immediately. Fee payments will not be accepted in the field.



Fees for a temporary event are $35.25 per event.  Each event will be inspected by health department personnel during the operating hours of the event.

Please call the Canton City Health Department (330) 438-4656 during regular business hours, should you have any questions.

Home > Environmental Health > Restaurant Inspections > Temporary Event Information